Taking CBD oil for anxiety.
Among the many reasons why people choose to consume cannabidiol (CBD), taking CBD oil for anxiety is one of the most common uses.
And whilst everyone feels worried or stressed from time to time, anxiety is more than that. When those anxious feelings linger for long periods of time, or don’t go away once the “stressor” is removed, it can be difficult to concentrate and cope with daily life- a sign of an anxiety disorder.
Thankfully, there are a number of things that you can do to help you deal with anxiety, and taking CBD oil for anxiety is one such natural option.
CBD oil for anxiety disorders.
It is firstly important to note that there are several different “types” of anxiety, including:
- General Anxiety Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Social or specific phobias
- Situational anxiety
- And others.
Taking CBD oil for anxiety may help to manage the common symptoms of the condition.
This common mental health condition is characterized by some common symptoms, many of which can be relieved by taking CBD oil for anxiety. These symptoms may include:
- An increased heart rate/racing heartbeat
- Fast breathing
- Panic attacks
- Feelings of tension/on edge
- Obsessive overthinking
- Excessive worrying and sometimes irrational fears
- Restlessness and inability to relax
- Sweaty or clammy palms, shaking hands and/or dry mouth
- Trouble concentrating.
Living with anxiety can be debilitating for many sufferers, and unfortunately there is still a lot of stigma around the condition, which sometimes prevents people from seeking the help they need in order to overcome it. People often find themselves searching for the right treatment strategy for a long time, and as it currently stands, most of the pharmacological (drug-based) treatments that are available for anxiety come with unwanted side-effects and potential dependency.
For this reason, a lot of anxiety-sufferers turn to CBD oil for anxiety; because they find that it relieves many (if not all) of their problematic symptoms, and can be a safe and effective longer-term treatment choice.
How does CBD oil for anxiety work?
CBD works by its interaction with the body’s endocannabinoid receptors, which form the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a natural physiological system that exists in every person’s body. The body produces its own (endogenous) endocannabinoids; the cannabinoids that come from plants (phytocannabinoids, such as cannabidiol, CBD) then supplement the body’s ECS and also stimulate it to produce endocannabinoids.
The ECS is currently the subject of a number of scientific research studies, however scientists already know that the ECS plays an important role in a number of significant physiological and cognitive processes, including cell communication, immune processes, appetite, sensation of pain, mood and memory, and more.
Many people find that taking CBD oil for anxiety symptoms helps to alleviate these. It may help with preventing headaches, panic attacks, relieving nausea and muscle tension, and may even act as a sleeping aid.
Evidence supporting the use of CBD oil for anxiety.
Reduced anxiety is one of the most commonly observed effects of CBD oil consumption. It is therefore not surprising that many people choose to try CBD oil for anxiety, to alleviate their symptoms.
- A 2011 study1 examined the effects of a stimulated public speaking test on healthy control patients (n=12, with no medication), compared with patients with generalised social anxiety (n=24, who each received either of a single dose of CBD oil (600mg) or a placebo). The study demonstrated that those that received a single dose of CBD, when compared with the placebo, showed significantly reduced anxiety, cognitive impairment and discomfort in speaking performance.
- A large case study series2 examined whether CBD improved anxiety and/or sleep. Over a period of 3 months, 72 patients were seen at a psychiatric outpatient clinic. CBD dosages varied between 25-125mg (average 25mg for most patients). The results of this study showed that anxiety scores decreased within the first month of treatment with CBD in 79.2% of patients, and this was sustained for the duration of the study. Sleep scores also improved within the first month of the study in 66.7% of patients.
Choose Transcending Organics when you want to try CBD oil for anxiety.
Not all oils are equal. When you are looking to try CBD oil for anxiety, you can be confident in your purchase from Transcending Organics. Our CBD oil is produced using only completely organic, non-GMO and vegan ingredients. All of our products undergo stringent filtration procedures to ensure that there is no THC in the final product, so that it does not have any psychoactive or addictive properties whatsoever.
The content presented in this blog post regarding CBD oil for anxiety, is intended for informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any illness, and it should not be taken as general or medical advice. We always recommend consulting with your trusted health professional for an accurate diagnosis of your condition.
1Bergamaschi, MM., Queiroz, RH., Chagas, MH., et al., Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety induced by stimulated public speaking in treatment-naïve social phobia patients. Neuropsychology-pharmacology, 2011;36(6): 1219-1226. [Accessed September 21, 2020] Available from https://www. nature.com/articles/npp20116.pdf
2Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., Hughes, S., Cannabidiol in anxiety and sleep: a large case series. The Permanente Journal, 2019;23. [Accessed September 21, 2020] Available from https://www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6326553/